On top of looking for rubbish Paul Vale did a Reccy and came back with these recommendations for the day:
Along the edge of the footpath, going uphill from the corner of the mown picnic area/carpark. We have a small patch of privet that is isolated from everything else, so might be worth 10 minutes removing. Then, Scotch Thistle, Blackberry, Coreopsis, Cotoneaster, Holly, Monbretia, Japanese Honeysuckle, thick Privet, intense Star Jasmine. These generally extend about 5 metres from the footpath edge to what appears to be quite good native veg.
Below the “Chilli Guy” house. Last time we worked from the edge of the good bush about 8 metres below the house boundary, so near that boundary is still “bad”. But it is certainly not as bad as it was. Starting from the footpath and entering the rough track immediately below the house driveway, there is Privet, Ivy, Cotoneaster, Monbretia, Cherry Laurel, Blackberry, Japanese Honeysuckle, Holly, Himalayan Honeysuckle, Blackberry Nightshade (Solanum nigrum). There are also exotic garden escapees from the garden above – mostly unidentified. I did spray some of the worst patches last time.
At about 55 metres from the street, the native veg is quite good on both sides of the rough track; there is a sharp and obvious end to the weedy section.
My recommendation of priority is:
- The small patch of privet near the mown picnic area, as it is easily achievable.
- Weeds below the rough track, particularly the few vertical ivy plants on tree trunks, and small colonies of Monbretia. There are also few Cotoneasters and Hollies, all small that would be good to get done. This area below the track seems to have mostly resisted reinfestation of weeds after our efforts last year.
- Some of the better areas above the track. There are some that are thick weed, e.g. a couple of square metres of Monbretia that would take a lot of resources to treat, while other areas have reasonable native veg that would benefit from weed removal.
- I think last time we decided to leave the wall of weeds next to the footpath, but we might like to consider doing something with the Jasmine as it is quite a bit worse, I think.
The photo attached is of a section of the area below the track not long after we started last year. Most of those giant ivies were treated, but I did notice some new ones, up to 2 metres from the ground. They shouldn’t be hard to remove. The impression this photo gives is of dense undergrowth; just a bit of trick photography, as below the path is mostly quite open, so relatively easy to work in.